The A.T. Smith House is open to the public during special events only. See our Events Calendar for upcoming dates!
A Greek Revival style of house located on Elm Street, the Alvin T. Smith House is a two-story home built in 1854. It is the second oldest building in Forest Grove. In 1974, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Friends of Historic Forest Grove has formed a team, the Alvin T. Smith House & Property Committee, dedicated to working on the home. This committee is responsible for coordinating various projects to complete the restoration of the ATS house, including structural repair, painting, replacing damaged exterior wood, repairing steps, placement of hand rails, and landscaping. There will also be opportunities to research for grants, contact sponsors, organize events, and so much more! If you are interested in joining this important committee to help restore the ATS house, please contact us about volunteering.
The Alvin T. Smith House was one of only two structures in Forest Grove that were documented for the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in the 1930s. The house was placed on the National Register in 1971 by the Zurcher family who were the owners at the time. This 1938 photo is on record with the National Parks Service (NPS) and the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
Built with oak timber framing, the house has defied nature and human neglect. The Classical Greek Revival elements are simple and elegant. The remaining 6-over-6 original windows were restored in 2005-06 and non-period windows will eventually be replaced. The roof replacement was completed in 2007. The stabilization plan of enhancing the basement support and adding a perimeter drainage system has been completed.
FHFG purchased the house in 2005 and has worked hard to stabilize and protect the structure. The house is now ready for the next phase of its restoration.