Log in

1623 Ash Street


Fred & Clyda WATROUS house c.1912

See More Historic Homes

The Watrous House is a distinctive bungalow with a handsome exterior that includes a full length front porch.  The interior boasts original fireplaces, leaded glass, and original light fixtures which enhance the charm of this pre-World War I home.

Built about 1912 for Ives John Hoar and his wife Elizabeth, by 1920 it had been sold to Fred and Katherine Fischer. 

In 1923 Fred and Clyda Watrous bought this house and for nearly one hundred years it has been owned by the Watrous family.  They had one son, Don, who was 10 when they moved in. 

Fred opened Forest Grove’s first movie theatre, The Scenic, on New Year’s Eve, 1910.  His wife, Clyda Watrous died in 1932. Don Watrous, who had attended Pacific University and graduated from the University of Oregon, went into business with his father, Fred.  First they operated the Grove Theater and then in 1939 they opened the very popular Tip Top Restaurant.  After World War II they opened the Forest Theater.  

Fred died in 1962, at which time the house passed on to Don and his wife Edith. 

Edith Watrous’ father was Enoch Moore who built many of the houses in Forest Grove.  He also built several public buildings, including the original Lincoln Grade School and the 1912 Pacific University Gymnasium.

Don Watrous passed away in 1988 and Edith continued to live here until her death in 1998.

The Watrous House is currently owned by their daughter Jane Romig who grew up in this house as did her father Don.

FHFG is pleased to recognize the Watrous family and this wonderful house which has been their home for so long. 

FHFG is committed to preserving local historic resources, educating our residents about our past, and creating a community for enthusiasts to support this mission.
Join a community of people who care about Forest Grove's history! Memberships to FHFG include invitations to members-only events, discounts, a subscription to our newsletter, and more.

Find us

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 123, Forest Grove, OR 97116
More Contact Information

©2022 Friends of Historic Forest Grove

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software