The Baldwin house can best be described as a wood framed shingle clad Bungalow in the vernacular style with a curved partial porch enclosure that has Tuscan columns, window bays and Craftsman elements such as purlins with braces. These features were popular and considered very stylish in the early 1900s when this house was built.
George H. Baldwin, who preferred to use his middle name of Harvey, was born in Illinois in 1878 to Abraham and Sarah (Skiles) Baldwin. He married Miss Birdella James who was also from Illinois in 1907. Harvey was a brick mason. He first entered the brick contracting business with his brothers. During his lifetime as a building contractor, he constructed eleven banks in Washington County. He also built McCormick Hall on the Pacific University campus. Harvey is believed to have built his own home at 1735 Ash Street. During World War II, he worked in the shipyards in Portland. He retired in 1945 and died in 1955. Birdella died in 1963.
The Baldwin House has hosted a long string of over a dozen owners since it was built and for several years it served as a rental home.
Desi and Craig Lang the current owners have spent a great effort to freshen up the exterior and bring back the beauty of this great home while preserving the historic features that we all love.
The Friends of Historic Forest Grove are very pleased to recognize their hard work and present them with a historic plaque for the George & Birdella Baldwin House.